Tuesday 4 December 2018

Two Beers by Frank Brewing Co.

Frank Double Bill


I picked up a couple of cans from a brewery I had never heard of before when I was down in Stratford. I know many people enjoy travelling to see new sights and have new experiences... Sometimes I just like to go into the grocery stores and check out what foods are different. Yes, I am a nerdy chef...  This was the case with these two beers. If you don't know we have had beer sales in grocery stores in Ontario for just over a year now... Yes, I know our province is late to the party, other more civilised areas have been doing this for years. 


Frank Brewing is a microbrewery/Brewpub from Tecumseh, Ontario. Tecumseh is West of Windsor near the US Canada border and on the shores of Lake St. Claire the smallest and only  heart shaped lake in the Great Lakes chain. Lake St. Claire is most noted for its excellent muskellunge fishing. Let's see how well they do with beer.


Onto our double bill tasting...




Beer # 462 Frank: Bombshell Blonde

Brewery: Frank Brewing Company



Type:
 Independent Microbrewery/Brewpub    Est.:  2015

Location: Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada

Beer Style: Blonde Ale
ABV: 4.4%      IBU: 9
Format: Bottle  Size: 473 ml
Cost: $2.85 CAD     Purchased At: Food Basics (Stratford, Ontario)

Dun coloured gold with little to no head, flat and lifeless looking. Slight chemical, off nose. Musty flat. Watery, overwhelming taste of wet grain. Strangely, beer does not taste spoiled... just very bad.


Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 


Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 0/6 FAIL
Beer Style: 0/6 FAIL
Re-Order:  0/6 FAIL
Experience: 0/6 FAIL


Final Thoughts


Just bad... Terrible beer. First #DrainAward of the year.



Beer # 463 Frank: Old Comrade Amber


Beer Style: Amber Ale
ABV: 4.7%      IBU: 21
Format: Bottle  Size: 473 ml

Cost: $3.05 CAD     Purchased At: Food Basics (Stratford, Ontario)

Pours a dark amber slightly translucent with a thin off-tan head made up of small bubbles. Sweet malt forward with light hints of wood and spice. First sip is malty and syrupy sweet with a fair amount of caramel. Dark and roasty with some molasses in the background. Aeration gives us brown sugar.







Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 4/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6 PASS
Experience: 4/6 PASS

Final Thoughts


Much better than the first one but something is still just a bit off. I know ambers are a little on the sweet side but this one is too sweet. Although not a candidate for the #DrainAward... I'm having a hard time finishing it. If sweet beers are your thing go for this one... otherwise I might avoid it.


Final, Final Thoughts...

I'm not sold on Frank... Quite... er, frankly. I would need to see more beer from them and hopefully, they are just working through their new brewery troubles. Neither of these beers seemed to work and I'm not sure where to put the blame. Hopefully, I can revisit this brewery again later and they may have sorted this all out


Cheers

CJT


 Let's Stay "Social" Follow my adventures here


   @pintjockey





The Pintjockey Online



pintjockey


And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.



No comments:

Post a Comment