Saturday 1 December 2018

The 2-4 Beers of Christmas 2018 Edition Day 1: The Ugly By Henderson and Brewdog

Beer # 458
The Ugly
Collaboration with Brewdog PLC

Brewery: Henderson Brewing Company


Type:
 Independent Microbrewery    Est.:  2015

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Brewery: Brewdog PLC

Type: Independent Microbrewery    Est.:  2015

Location: Aberdeenshire, Scotland United Kingdom

Beer Style: Dark Belgian Strong  Ale
ABV: 8.4%      IBU: ?
Format: Aluminium Can  Size: 473 ml
Cost: $3.70 CAD     Purchased At: LCBO

@HendersonBrewing


    @HendersonBeerCo

In the 1970's, In Toronto (as in other cities) there was a huge Punk movement that took over the clubs of the entertainment district. Strangely, Toronto was almost as influential as New York for churning out hard rocking, loud and entertaining bands. This beer pays homage to one of those bands, coincidentally named "The Ugly." This Belgian strong was done as a collab between Toronto's Henderson Brewing Company and Brewdog from Scotland, the latter of the two is most noted for their delicious "Punk IPA" which explains why they chose an iconic Toronto punk band to name their beer after.



The Ugly: Stranded in the Laneway of Love

I hadn't heard of The Ugly prior to this, but I read a bit about them and checked out their music on YouTube and I really like them... Give them a listen especially if you are an old Ramones fan like me. I've always wondered if I should incorporate more music into the blog. Maybe I should work up a list of my Top Ten Beer Drinking songs and pair them with beers... Hmmmm. Thoughts.

Onto our beer.


Pours a very dark chestnut almost black with tints of red. With a generous head made up of small reddish-brown bubbles. Aroma is very warming nutty and sweet. Very fruity with hints of brown sugar and smoke and charcoal. First sip is nutty and molasses. The body is light and fruity, hints of dried fruit and plums. There is a slight "bubbling" of effervescence on the tongue. Aeration brings out fruitiness, liquorice and spikes of alcohol. Has hints of chocolate and dried fruit.


Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 


Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6 PASS
Experience: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Christmas Cheer 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL


Final Thoughts:


Wonderful collab. Rich and flavourful, awesome aromas. I don't think it revs up the anarchist in me... But I could enjoy one or two of these by a fire, listening to some punk music (before I fall asleep in my chair...) If you can find it get it in you, and do yourself a favour... play The Ugly really loud while you sip it.

Cheers

CJT


 Let's Stay "Social" Follow my adventures here


   @pintjockey




The Pintjockey Online



pintjockey



And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.


No comments:

Post a Comment