Wednesday 9 December 2015

The 2-4 Beers of Christmas Day 8: Amager Bryghus Kåååd Spring IPA


Beer # 255 Kåååd Spring IPA


Amager Bryghus


Kastrup, Denmark

Microbrewery
IPA 6.0% ABV 
Brown Glass Bottle 650 ml
$6.95 (Canadian) At LCBO

Twitter: 
N/A

Tonight's offering for the 2-4 Beers of Christmas is a bottle that I have had in the fridge of fame for quite some time. It is a spring IPA and a seasonal. However it slipped my notice for a while. I checked the best before date and is said it was still good until February 2016. So I thought I would give it a whirl. Kåååd in Danish means "Frisky," which is very appropriate for a spring beer. Even the label is a rather frisky looking, anime inspired, sultry, fox woman in a striped bikini. I've checked into a few other beers by Amager and they all seem to have similar humorous or risqué labels. They even have a whole series dedicated to the 7 sins.

So with fingers crossed the bottle is still good... let's go onto the tasting:

Note: The only defect I could find was that the beer had been slightly over-carbonated. It foamed over when I opened it. I guess there were some residual yeasts that continued to work.

Pours a honey amber colour with a short off-white head made up of small to medium sized bubbles. Aroma is grassy with fresh tropical fruits. First sip is bright, sweet and fruity. Passion fruit dominates, with some hard candy citrus and orange peel. slight after taste of a grassy hop, with a tiny bit of camphor and juniper. Slight hints of caramel and marmalade. Aeration brings out some medicinal qualities of the hops with more camphor and menthol, and hints of curacao.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 


Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Re-Order:  5/6  PASS
Experience:  5/6 PASS
Christmas Cheer:  5/6 PASS

Final Thoughts:


A delicious IPA.  Light, fruity, slightly piney; all the good things one can ask in a modern IPA. Not exactly a Christmas beer, but I think it would do nicely anytime of year.

CJT



Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey

Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online


And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.



No comments:

Post a Comment