Monday 14 December 2015

The 2-4 Beers of Christmas Day 11: Waterloo Roggenbier Applewood Smoked.

Beer # 259 Roggenbier


Waterloo Brewing Company 

Waterloo and Formosa, Ontario, Canada
Independent Brewery
Roggenbier, Applewood Smoke 5.3% ABV 
Aluminium Can 473 ml.
$2.75 (Canadian) At LCBO.

Twitter: @brickbrewery


Roggenbier means rye beer in German. I love rye beers and I was very intrigued by this one. Smoked beers, or Rauchbiers in German are also quite common so I was keen to try this beer that attempted to blend both styles.

Onto the smoke...

Pours a very dark chestnut with a tan head made up of small bubbles. Aroma is German rye bread with frying bacon. First sip fully delivers on the meaty promise of bacon in the nose. This beer tastes like breakfast to me! Hints of applewood smoke make me think of smoked English cheddar as well. Light in body but big on taste. Taste is slightly monochromatic though. The smoked rye certainly dominates the foreground of the taste. Unfortunately on the background of the taste I am picking up some chemicals, and creosote, some flavours that taste more like the chimney than the smoker. So I sadly believe that the rye, in this instance, has been over-smoked. Aeration gives us distant coal-fires, and wood-fire bread ovens. Finish is harsh bitter chemicals and carbonised wood.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 





Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 1/6 FAIL
Re-Order:  1/6 FAIL
Experience: 1/6 FAIL
Christmas Cheer:  1/6 FAIL

Final Thoughts:


This beer started out with so much promise and then dropped the ball in a big way. The aroma and nuances of the first sip of the beer made me long for breakfast; then the middle and the finish reminded me of cleaning the wood stove pipes at the old Farmhouse I grew up in. Toss this one into the avoid list for now. I hope they re-release this with better smoked rye in it, because if they do it right, I would love this beer.


Cheers


CJT



Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey

Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online


And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment