Saturday 5 December 2015

The 2-4 Beers of Christmas Day 5: Church Key Brewing Holy Smoke



Beer # 253 Holy Smoke

Church Key Brewing Company


Cambellford, Ontario, Canada

Microbrewery
Peat Smoked Scottish Ale 6.2% ABV 
Brown Glass Bottle 650ml
$5.95 (Canadian) At LCBO

Twitter: @ChurchKeyBeer




Church Key Brewing is another one of those stepping stone for me on my way to my craft beer education. I "discovered" them many years ago, not long after they opened in 2000. I was pouring wine for the Waupoos Winery (Prince Edward County) at the former Fiesta Buckhorn Food and Drink Festival which had been held in the Buckhorn community outside of Peterborough. It was there I ran into the 
then, fledgling brewery the first beers I had from them were the Northumberland Brown Ale and a speciality beer made with Rosemary and Ginger. It was this last beer that really sparked my interest in cooking with beer. I started to use it to make my pot roasts and then moved on to putting different beers in my soups and so on. I've run into them a few times since but being on the other side of the province from them it is hard to find their beers, other than the rare occasion I find one on tap in Toronto, at C'est What or Bar Volo. So when I found this gem at the LCBO I snapped it up and I present it to you here now.

Let the smoke clear...
Pours a very dark chestnut colour with a tan head made up of small bubbles.The aroma is peat smoke and scotch whiskey with a hint of oak barrels.some charcoal and leather. First sip is a smoky dark malt with hints of soft wood fires. Very woody with light fruit notes. Peaty whisky notes. Light bodied, hints of oats and caramel, with the slightest hint of vanilla. Aeration gives us darkly toasted bread.


Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 


Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6  PASS
Experience:  5/6 PASS
Christmas Cheer:  5/6 PASS

Final Thoughts:


A very good smoked beer. very light despite the alcohol and the peat smoke. Best if served with food. I would love a nice juicy burger with double smoked bacon to go with this beer.

CJT



Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey

Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online


And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment