Monday 7 December 2015

The 2-4 Beers of Christmas Day 7: Sigtuna Brygghus Midvinterblot

Beer # 255 Midvinterblot

Sigtuna Brygghus


Sigtuna, Sweden

Microbrewery
Imperial Porter 8.0% ABV 
Brown Glass Bottle 330ml
$3.70 (Canadian) At LCBO

Twitter: @SigtunaBr


So today for my 7th instalment of this year's 2-4 Beers of Christmas I actually get to try my very first Swedish beer. It's been awhile since I have crossed a new country off of my list. I looked them up online, and while there is a great website for the brewers Sigtuna, the information is in Swedish, and Google translate does not like Swedish. What I did get is that Sigtuna was formed in 2005. They drew inspiration from the craft beers of New York and Boston. The required a large investment to expand the brewery in 2011 and have grown their sales over 600%. They brew 3 core brands and numerous seasonal some of which have won awards.
Translated by Google

Bork, Bork, Bork...

Onto the tasting.

Pours and extremely dark brown to almost black with a short tan head made up of small to medium bubbles. Head disperses quickly. Aroma is an earthy chocolate coffee and leather. Notes of clay and minerals. There is some oaty sweetness. A little smoke and ashes on the first sip with some wood notes, burnt sugar, and tobacco. You feel the alcohol in your nose as you breathe out. Some vanilla and caramel too. Light in body but long on taste. Some molasses and figs. Aeration gives us molasses a slight rum flavour and some raisins on the finish.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 


Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6  PASS
Experience:  5/6 PASS
Christmas Cheer:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL

Final Thoughts:


This is the kind of Christmas beer I have been looking forward to. Rich and flavourful, yet still light bodied. A good beer to try and happy this was my first from Sweden

CJT



Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey

Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online


And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment