Thursday 12 December 2019

The 2-4 Beers of Christmas 2019 Day: 12 ghoST OUT by Muskoka Brewery

Beer # 512 ghoST OUT

Brewery: Muskoka Brewing Company


Type:
 Independent Microbrewery    Est.:  1996

Location: Bracebridge, Ontario, Canada
Beer Style: Flavoured White Stout
ABV: 6.5%      IBU: 25
Format: Aluminium Can  Size: 473 ml
Cost: $2.95 CAD     Purchased At: The Brewery

muskokabrewery


    @muskokabrewery


An interesting beer tonight for the #2-4BeersofChristmas. I think I have only had two other white stouts, but it is an interesting concept. Can you pack all the flavour of a stout into something that looks like a golden ale? Well Muskoka brewery just put this one out so I was curious to see how it did.

Onto our beer...

Pours a liquid honey colour with an off-white head made of small bubbles. The nose took a few minutes to open up. It first started out smelling like a golden ale, however as it warmed a bit the stout aromas started to build. hints of liquorice and caramel The first sip is slightly mind-bending. by looking at it you expect an IPA flavour or a golden ale. However, what you get is a very light dry stout flavour. I get creaminess and a little cheese. There are notes of chocolate and coffee and some sweet oat malts. The body is very light, and there is a slight tang in the back of the throat. Aeration is very malty, with caramel and golden syrup, and there is a little herbaceous bite from the hops.



Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 


Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 4/6 PASS
Re-Order:  4/6 PASS
Experience: 4/6 PASS
Christmas Cheer 4/6 PASS


Final Thoughts:


This is a fascinating beer but I need to try more beers in this style. The biggest problem I have with it is the disparate and conflicting signals I get through my senses. I feel like I should be drinking a golden ale, but I'm tasting something that drinks, close to... but not quite, a stout. Worth a try though. Get one if you can find it.


Cheers

CJT


 
 Let's Stay "Social" Follow my adventures here



pintjockey
The Pint Jockey Online

@Pintjockey


And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment