Sunday 31 August 2014

Sawdust City Grand Opening Part 1: The Beers

Grand Opening


I had the great fortune of attending Sawdust City Brewing Company's Grand Opening this morning. The Brewery was jammed with customers and craft beer lovers. The brewery had been in a soft open for the last month as they completed renovations and additions to their taproom, and bottle/gift shop. But today was a call out to all of Muskoka and Ontario that Sawdust City had come home and was open for business. In addition to their 5 core brands and their speciality beer The Princess Wears Girl Pants; There were pouring 6 one-off draughts and 2 Cask Conditioned ales that I was able to taste and report back you, dear reader. Stay tuned I also have pictures from the brewhouse which I will add in a separate post Here.

Without further ado here is the 8 one-offs I was able to taste.

Please note: Information about the beers is a tad spotty. While I always try to be very accurate in the information I bring you, the team at Sawdust was VERY BUSY today. And while I am sure they would have sat and discussed their beers at length with me (because everyone I have met there is dying to tell you about the beer they brew), they were run off of their feet keeping up with the demand for samples. (not a bad problem to have!) So I have estimated, and filled in information as best I could... If I am wrong I do apologise, and I will correct any information that is deemed to be incorrect. Please enjoy.

Beers

Flight # 1 Beers 1 through 4 left to right.

Beer # 1: It Takes Two to Mango

I believe this Is a version of the Princess Wears Girl Pants with added mango, so that should put the ABV at around  9.0 % Colour was light gold, cloudy and unfiltered. The aroma was fruity and tropical with some mango, some bananas and ccoriander  The taste was light and dry with a lingering fruitiness. Hints of Toasted wheat and very light caramel. This was a collaboration with Indie Alehouse.

Beer # 2: Salty Brine A.k.A Salty Alty.


Based off of Ol' Woody's Alt... this beer has added salt and butterscotch syrup. ABV about 5.0%. Quite the hit with everyone at the bar while I was there. It was very much like a salted caramel. Dark butterscotch in appearance, cloudy and unfiltered as well. The nose was sweet sugar, Salt and butterscotch are right out there in the attack followed by a mineral, dark malt, molasses and burnt sugar. Quite tasty.

Beer # 3: UTI (Until Tomorrow Irene)

Based on the Gateway Kolsch this beer had added Ginger and Cranberry (UTI... cranberry juice... make your own joke...) ABV is also about 5.0%. Made with local Bala cranberries this salmon coloured beer is translucent and slightly cloudy. Nose is fruity and tart. The first taste is crisp and clean sweet and zingy. Freshly squeeze cranberries make up the bulk of the flavour profile, with a little zip from the ginger.

Beer # 4: Pine Tar Black IPA

This is a Lone Pine IPA that has been hopped to the hilt. ABV about 6.5%. Chestnut brown in colour cloudy with particulate matter still floating in it. (I believe it was remnants of hop pellets). Nose was like a fresh cut pine board. Very piney and hoppy. Light in body with a green bitter pine middle. Toasted wood and caramel come out as the pine dies down and finish is tarry and chewy. Very satisfying for an old hop head like me!



Flight #2 Beers 5 through 8 left to right.
Beer # 5: 4 Barrels Barley Wine

This is a collaboration between Indie Alehouse, Great Lakes Brewery and Sawdust City, The same beer was aged in 4 different barrels, and then blended. The resulting Barleywine was 10.0% alcohol ABV. Dark amber in colour, and slightly cloudy The nose is whisky and caramel. Light body, quite fruity, with a hit of hot alcohol. Maple, oak, and deep wood note and an herbal finish.

Beer #6: Skinny Dipping with Friends.

Less of a one off, and more of a rotating seasonal; SDWF... is  the Skinny Dipping stout with added cinnamon and vanilla. ABV is about 5.5%. Nose is caramel and coffee, with a hint of cinnamon. Taste is light and fruity with some pipe tobacco, caramel, sweetness, and creme brulee. Cinamon and vanilla show up in the middle to the end, and mouthfeel is very creamy.

Beer # 7: Cask, Nun Rolling Down a Hill

This is a cask conditioned version of the Skinny Dipping Stout ABV about 5.5%, with added raspberries and coconut. The name eludes to the old bad joke of: "What is red, black, and white, red, black, and white? (A nun rolling down a hill...) I'm here all week folks... The thing that struck me the most when I tasted this was my mind was drawn to a very specific product. This tasted exactly like a Viva Puff. My mom used to buy these cookies all the time (personally... I was not a fan). For those outside of Canada a Vive Puff is a marshmallow filled chocolate coated cookie with a fruit or caramel filling. The beer was quite good thought, the coconut and raspbery worked with the chocolately, coffee flavouring of the stout, and made a nice dessert beer. ABV was once again about 5.5%. Colour was very dark brown translucent and slightly cloudy. The three main flavours in the coconut, chocolate, and raspberry.  Body was quite light.

Beer # 8: Cask, The Sand at the Beach is Too Hot to Walk on

Based on Golden Beach Pale Ale. This beer has roasted Habanero Peppers and crushed pineapple. When I ordered this the Gentleman behind the bar, one of the brewers at Sawdust said "Careful man The (expletive) beer will burn your (expletive) face off..." Now if that wasn't a challenge I didn't know what would be. With an ABV of about 4.5% this strangely coloured beer was also unfiltered and quite hazy. The colour was a golden, green. One would think of a pickle brine. Nose is piney and fruity leaning towards the tropical. On the taste the heat is slow building. Fruity, pithy, light sweetness from the pineapple. Heat is also tempered by the sweetness of the pineapple,. Roasting also mellows the peppers. Tingly lips and burny throat , but not overwhelming. Certainly not a gulping beer, but honestly one of my most favourites of the day.

Beer # 9 Bonus Beer: CLR Coconut Lime Refresher.

I wandered back later after I had accomplished my tasks for the day and Sawdust had added a new beer. Sadly I did not bring my note pad so I will wing this one from memory. I believe this one was the Kolsch  with added coconut and lime (I may be wrong). Very light and refreshing with a distinct fruity, coconut drink flavour. Lime is also evident and accents the fresh grated coconut and rum notes of the main flavours.

Final Thoughts.

I would have to say today was a resounding success for Sawdust City. There were so many people I actually felt bad for the poor workers trying to keep up with the demand for their delicious beer. The one offs were fabulous and quite memorable. I look forward to many more beers from this creative team. Also check out Part Two with pictures of the Brewhouse Here.

Cheers

CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online




And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.


No comments:

Post a Comment