Wednesday 25 February 2015

Otter Water Sawdust City Brewing Company

# 212 Otter Water

Sawdust City Brewing Company


Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada
Independent Microbrewery
Flavoured Kolsch 
5.0 % ABV 20 oz Draft 592 ml.
$6.50 (Canadian) At the brewery

Twitter: @SawdustCityBeer

It was a fun day here at Sawdust City as I sat in the Saloon I watched the Brewmaster brew their 100th brew from the brewhouse in Gravenhurst. It was, as they tweeted, The Princess Wears Girlpants, Their summer seasonal which I am excited to get into again. Sawdust seems to be the hardest working brewery in Ontario right now, In addition to the Twin pines double IPA I know they have coming soon, I also know that there are collaborations coming up with Stack Brewing of Sudbury, Forked River in London, Beyond the Pale in Ottawa, and the PI Day collab, a Cherry saison with Block Three Brewing. So I guarantee you my tastebuds will be busy for the next month or two

Tonight's offering is the second beer in the theme of the Gravenhurst Winter Carnival. This is the unofficial brother beer of the Official Beer Chandail de Skokie which I tasted in January. Based off of their mainstay beer, Gateway Kolsch, this beer has been flavoured with fresh oranges and ginger.

Onto the Tasting.

Pours a dark copper with an off-white head made of small bubbles. Aroma is triple sec with light hints of ginger and marmalade. First sip is fresh orange juice with hints of orange soda. Very grain forward with plenty of orange zest and warming ginger. Aeration brings more marmalade into the taste and a hint of grainy bitterness.




Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6 PASS
Experience:  5/6 PASS


Final Thoughts:

The Kolsch, I must admit, is my least favourite of the Sawdust beers. It is called Gateway for a reason. It is a good jumping off point for people who have only drank macro beers before. Something that they can get their feet wet with, before moving on to more complex and flavourful beers. But the addition of Orange and ginger really makes this beer (I had a couple... while we are being honest...). It elevates the beer from being good to being delicious. I wish I had this for the 2-4 beers of Christmas because it would have been very fitting.


CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online



And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment