Saturday 6 December 2014

The 2-4 Beers of Christmas: Day 6 Bah! Humbug

Beer # 169 Bah! Humbug 

Wychwood Brewery

Witney, Oxfordshire, England
Owned by Marston's PLC
Spiced Ale 5.0 % ABV Brown Glass Bottle 500 ml.
$2.95 (Canadian) At the LCBO
Twitter: @Hobgoblin_Beer


Tonight's offering is a cinnamon spiced ale from Wychwood Brewery in England. Certainly I think of baking spices at this time of year... in fact it is time for me to start my holiday baking. There is puddings and truffles, and chocolates, and cookies to do... Wait a minute. Am I off track already. Sorry. We have visited Wychwood a couple of times. Most Recently their Scarecrow Golden Pale Ale. Which I think you can still get in the LCBO in a gift pack packaged with this beer.

Onto the Humbugging...

Pours a medium coloured amber with an off tan head made up of small bubbles. The nose is apples and cinnamon, like baked apples The first sip gives up a slightly hot, tingly, cinnamon burst. Slightly tart with some green apple. Aeration gives us a shot of cinnamon up inside the back of the nose. Malts a light and subtle and play a nice supporting role to the cinnamon. The cinnamon is from an extract so it is strong, and unyielding. Finish is light herbal hops deeply buried under cinnamon, and of course the long lingering cinnamon itself... with a slight mouth-pricking heat.



Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 



Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 4/6 PASS
Re-Order:  2/6 SO-SO
Experience:  3/6 SO-SO
Christmas Spirit 4/6 PASS


Final Thoughts:

Cinnamon is not my favourite flavour.. saying than this is not bad. I would think that a blend of spices would have been nicer some cinnamon and allspice and maybe some nutmeg and while I understand the need for consistency in large batches of beer, I would have preferred to see real spices instead of extracts.

Cheers And Beery Christmas


CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online



And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment