Tuesday 24 July 2012

Beer # 84 Big Rock Lime Light Lager


Big Rock Lime Light Lager


Big Rock Brewing Company
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Independent
Flavoured Lager 4.0 % ABV Aluminum Can 355 ml.
$1.90 (Canadian) At The Beer Store (15 can pack for $28.55)


Twitter: @bigrockbrewery


Big Rock is a brewery that first came to my attention when I was living in Banff. I did a summer internship there and well, spent a lot of money on beer. It was the first time I drank Keith's (Not so IPA, but I swear it tasted better back then) and I came away with two new beer favourites, Bow Valley Lager of Canmore (sadly defunct), and Big Rock Traditional.


Not Exactly Ayer's Rock, It's Just Big Rock.
Big Rock Brewery was opened in 1984 by Lawyer turned Barley Farmer Ed McNally. His motivation was simple, he hated that there was no real choice in the beer market, and decided he wanted to brew something he would drink, even if no-one else would. Of the first three beers, that proved true for two of them, Big Rock Porter, and Bitters. The third however, is still quite popular and is the backbone that Big Rock has built their mini prairie empire on: the aforementioned Traditional Ale. As for the Name. Big Rock is named... after a big rock. An unusually large granite erratic outside of Okotoks, south of Calgary and on the way to Ed McNally's home town of Lethbridge.


Onto the beer:

Introduced a couple of years ago, in response to the "Bud Light Lime" craze, Lime Light Lager has soldiered on in the background, a little unsung. Colour is very clear gold with a thin white head that disappears very rapidly. The nose is all fresh lime with a hint of ginger, spicy and sweet. Maltiness takes over on the first sip, followed by the lime and spice. A fair amount of wet dog, and the beer is a little flaccid. The lime at least tastes fresh as apposed to some of the "other" lime lagers, that taste very chemical.



Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional


Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 4/6PASS
Re-Order:  5/6 PASS
Experience:  4/6 PASS


Final Thoughts:



Ok, there is nothing wrong with this beer, but I just don't think it suits my style. As far as the "Lime" beers go it is probably the best I have tasted. But honestly folks... Beer and lime... really don't go together. Two acids don't always make something better. But what about Corona you say? Rubbish, I say. The lime stunt in the Corona was a marketing ploy. the lime wedge was stuck in the neck of the bottle to keep the flies out! Truth be told, there is nothing in this world that can make Corona taste good. I digress. Big Rock is a good brewery, if you have a chance pick up some of their beers, do so, and then do so again. Lime Light Lager is a solid beer, but not for me, try it yourself, it's definitely better than the alternatives. Me, I'm going to stick to my Traditional.


Cheers
CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on Facebook: Pint Jockey Online

No comments:

Post a Comment