Wednesday 11 February 2015

Double Dunk Forked River Brewing Company

# 207 Double Dunk Weizenbock

Forked River Brewing Company


London, Ontario, Canada
Independent
Imperial Weizenbock 8.2% 10 oz Draft Tulip Glass
$7.25 (Canadian) At the Sawdust City Brewery guest Tap


Twitter: @forkedriverbrew

Down to Forked River of London Ontario today. I have had one of their beers before, but it didn't make it into the blog. Forked River starts their own Bio out like a classic Joke "Two Biologists and an Engineer walk into a bar..." But instead of a punchline we get some amazing beer. Dave Reed, Andrew Peters, and Steve Nazarian all met through a regional homebrewing association. As their friendship grew, the job market for their professions started to dwindle in London, and not wanting to move their families they decided to work for themselves. So Forked River was born in 2012.  The other beer that I have had by them, was the Riptide Rye Pale Ale, and I must confess it was delicious. I only wish I had taken notes for the blog. If I can get my hands on some again I will... stay tuned. Until then we shall sample this beer right here...

Already a mouthful in a name... The Double Dunk Weizenbock. Onto the tasting.

Pours a cloudy chocolate brown with an off-tan head made up of small bubbles. Nose is vegetative like tomatoes, and smells of hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce, like a really strong Caesar (drink... not salad my American friends!). First sip is intense, woody, spicy, umami laden, rich and creamy. Clove and cinnamon intensify through the middle and then the beer softens out to a tart tangy breadiness with a hint of sourness. As the beer warms up, chocolate appears with some oak, caramel, and vanilla in the background.  Aeration whips the beer up like fresh cream and  brings out the alcohol. intensifies the baking spices, light hints of banana, and enhances the chocolate.



Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Beer Style: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Re-Order:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Experience:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL


Final Thoughts:

Another massive beer. You feel all of it's 8.2% ABV. But such complexity! Layers upon layers of flavour. It is a real "thinking beer." One you definitely want to sit down and ponder. What struck me the most is the "Umami" in this beer. Umami is a borrowed Japanese word that means "pleasant savoury." In essence umami is the meatiness, the roundness, the completeness of a satisfying flavour. It's that deep mushroomy flavour, or the flavour of a seared steak. And it was all through this beer. The would certainly be an excellent food beer, and I would love to cook a nice beef stew with it. I suggest you grab one and taste it for yourself. 

CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online



And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment