Saturday 10 December 2016

The 2-4 Beers of Christmas Day 7: Winterhaven Spiced Rye Ale, Lake of Bays Brewing

Beer # 306 Winterhaven Spiced Rye Ale


Brewery: Lake of Bays Brewing Company

Type: Independent Microbrewery     Est.: 2008
Location: Baysville, Ontario, Canada
Beer Style: Flavoured Rye Ale
ABV: 8.0%      IBU: 30
Format: Crown Capped Brown Glass Bottle  Size: 750 ml
Cost: $11.95 CAD     Purchased At: LCBO

Twitter: @LB_Brewing



Another brewery I haven't been to in  awhile, Lake of Bays out of Baysville is generally good for a nice seasonal, so when I saw this one I got excited. Firstly it's a rye beer, and anyone who knows me, rye beers are quickly turning into one of my kryptonite beers. I love them and I am defenseless around them. Secondly, it's holiday spiced. Ok that puts it on the list for the #2-4beersofChristmas. And thirdly... do I need a thirdly? Not really. It's beer, It's new I'll try it.

Tonight's beer is a spiced rye with a flavour that is supposed to be reminiscent of gingerbread... Great call for the Christmas beers.

Onto the tasting...

Pours and dark amber colour with a dark hued off-white head made up of small bubbles. Aroma is dominated by baking spices, ginger, clove, nutmeg and cinnamon, followed by some fresh rye notes. First sip is a combination of gingerbread and rye toast, light malty rye, not the heavier European style. Light rummy molasses round out the attack , with soft hints of caramel vanilla and turbinado sugar. Mouthfeel is light and a touch creamy. Aeration whips the beer up like whipped cream and gives it a warming brandy note. Hints of  licorice  and clove linger on.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 


Cost: 5/6 
PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6  PASS
Experience: 5/6 PASS
Christmas Cheer: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL

Final Thoughts:



This is a great Christmas beer. I often have a problem when beers are "spiced," they tend to be overdone. Too much spice in the beer gives it a sickly and artificial taste. Although the spices are strong in this beer they still play nicely with the malts and hops and leave a good fairly well rounded beer. Definitely one to try and get while they are still on the shelves.
Cheers


CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey

Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online


And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment