Thursday 4 August 2011

Beer # 60 Dominus Vobiscum Blanche

Baie St. Paul at sunset
Dominus Vobiscum Blanche

Microbrasserie Charlevoix 
Baie St. Paul, Quebec, Canada (Independent)
Spiced Wheat Beer 5.0% ABV Brown Glass Bottle 500 ml.
$4.60 (Canadian) At LCBO.




Twitter: @microbrasserie


The Village of Baie St. Paul
On a bay off of the St. Lawrence 1.5 hours east of Quebec city is the beautiful little village, Baie St. Paul. The entire area of Charlevoix is renowned for its great cheeses wines and fruits. However there is another "must see" on your stop. Microbrasserie Charlevoix or MBC as it is sometimes shortened to, started out in a pub in the centre of town in 1998. Eventually it grew in popularity and moved to expanded facilities in January 2009. I was fortunate enough to visit the brewery in 2005, and had quite a funny experience. As you go East from Quebec City the number of English speaking people drops considerably. When I arrived at the pub they were offering a five beer sampler, however when I ordered it in my broken high school french I was informed I could not have it because there were only four draughts that day. It took a good ten minutes to convince the harried server that it was quite alright to serve me the four beers and charge me the full price, just so i could get the sampler.


Onto the tasting. Tonight's offering is the spiced Belgium style wheat beer: Dominus Vobiscum Blanche. Generally the term Blanche, or "white beer" is either unfiltered or bottle conditioned, as is this one tonight. 


Light gold in colour, translucent, bright white head made up of tiny tight bubbles. First smell is coriander, clove, allspice and orange peel. First sip bursts with clove and allspice. Nutty, wheat and herbal, chamomile. Very crisp and clean short herbal finish. Very refreshing. Sediment on the bottom of the bottle. Excellent summer beer.




Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional
                                                                                                               

Cost:  5/6  PASS
Colour:  5/6  PASS        
Beer Style:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL  
Re-Order:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL  
Experience:   5/6  PASS

Final Thoughts:


I am very pleased that these "tiny" "undiscovered" breweries are now getting the widespread attention they deserve. I had fun "discovering" the brewery, that all the locals were quite familiar with and I am very happy I can go grab a "Blanche" down at the LCBO and relive my wonderful trip.


Cheers 
CJT

No comments:

Post a Comment