Friday 4 February 2011

Beer # 32 Hobgoblin Ruby Ale Wychwood Brewery


Hobgoblin

I love going back to Wychwood www.wychwood.co.uk every now and then. Hailing from Witney Oxfordshire this unconventional brewery likes to attack so called "Lager-boys" people who drink beer for image and bland taste. Their slogan is "What's the matter Lager-boy? Afraid you'll taste something?" Always good for some full-flavoured ales, They produce my favourite named ale "Dog's Bollocks" unfortunately not available in Canada. See also my notes on another Wychwood product Duchy Originals Organic Ruby Ale here.

Tonight's Tasting:

A combination of crystal and chocolate malt give this beer it's interesting charachter. Fuggles, styrian, and golding hops give the mild bitterness (all traditional British hops mild herbal and fruity).

Garnet in colour with a tan tinged head of small bubbles. 5.2% ABV in a 500ml brown glass bottle. Aroma is chocolate and vanilla and grass. Attack is chocolate and toffee building to licorice allsorts. And when I say building, I mean the beer actually intensifies in your mouth. Aeration melds the chocolate, toffee and licorice together with a hint of fruit. Finish is long mildly bitter and herbal.


Overall results: (Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional)

Taste: Pass
Cost: Pass ($3.45)
Colour: Exceptional
Beer Style: Pass
Re-order: Pass (on the heavy side one a night sounds good)
Experience: Exceptional

Final Thoughts: A very nice but heavy ale good for sipping in front of the fireplace... which is where I just happened to do it... so I know wherefore I speak. One a night would be fine for me, but I will definitely drink the Hobgoblin again. "What's the matter Lager-boy?...." well you get the picture.

Cheers
CJT

No comments:

Post a Comment