Friday 6 October 2017

Beer # 365 Wild North Series Pina Grande Lake of Bays

Beer # 365 Wild North Series Pina Grande



Brewery: Lake of Bays Brewing Company

Type: Independent Microbrewery     Est.: 2008
Location: Baysville, Ontario, Canada
Beer Style: Flavoured Wheat Ale
ABV: 4.2%      IBU: 29
Format: Aluminium Can  Size: 473 ml
Cost: $3.15 CAD     Purchased At: LCBO

Twitter: @LB_Brewing

I'm a little late in posting this one. The notes have been languishing in my to-do pile for quite some time. I've had a very busy summer with work and renovations and gardening, I've been coming home and falling into bed more than poking at the blog like I should be. Never fear Fall is here as is the flood of new seasonal beers and unfortunately Pumpkin Spice everything. Don't look for any Pumpkin beers on the blog this year, I've suffered through enough. They are rarely worth the effort, either overly sweet or over spiced. I may still taste a few, and if by the rare chance I find a good one... I'll share. But I would rather talk about the deep, dark, unctuous, and lethally alcoholic beers that arrive with the cooler weather.

But now... A beer that is far from deep dark and unctuous, A bright flavoured wheat from The people up in Baysville. Pina Grande is a wheat ale that has added pineapple juice in the brew to tick up the acid, add some nice fruit sugars and a hint of tropical brightness. Which is really nice to talk about when I've been dealing with frost warnings in my garden since August.

Onto our beer.

Pours a bright clear gold with a generous white head made up of small bubbles. Aroma is pilsner malt with some wheat, light citrus, and a hint of roasted pineapple. The first sip is very malt forward with a district pilsner feel. Light fruity sweetness keeps this ale from being too malty and a hint of bitter hops crisps it up and keeps it light on the tongue. Pinpricks of citric acid and a hint of tinniness/mineral right at the end is reminiscent of pineapple juice from a can. Aeration sweetens up the brew bringing the pineapple forward with hints of papaya and banana. 

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 


Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6  PASS
Experience: 5/6 PASS


Final Thoughts:


This is a delightfully easy drinking beer. Nice and bright with good flavours. The pineapple mixes well with the tropical flavoured hops, and the wheat malt keeps it nice and clean on the tongue.

Cheers


CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey

Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online


And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.


No comments:

Post a Comment