Monday 21 December 2015

The 12 Days of Christmas Bob and Doug Index 2015 Edition

Well The clock on the wall says Christmas is fast approaching and I only have a few more bottles left in my 2-4 Beers of Christmas sack. I am quite thankful that I didn't get shelved with a bad cold like I did at this time last year. So I am happy to say I will be wrapping up  my 2-4 beers on Christmas Eve on schedule. Don't worry.. you have all been excellent Beer readers so I'm sure I will have a few bonus beers hidden away for the end of the year just for you. Plus as always the New Year brings new beers and The first week is always the celebration of... ME! Yes it is my birthday coming up again (funny how it happens every year,,,) I will plan a little Pint Jockey Birthday Week Celebration... because I deserve it.

So one other thing I had noticed that I hadn't gotten to yet was my "Incredibly Scientific Holiday Metric..." The Bob and Doug Index . I do have to work early tomorrow so to expedite things I will quote most of last years blog post here below as it explains it, rather well (well of course it does... I wrote it!) I have made temporal changes where needed...


For the last 30 31 years PNC Financial has calculated the costs of each gift in the Classic "12 Days of Christmas" Carol and published the results. Thus hoping to interest children in economics Now with apologies to my readers outside of Canada or the US who may be unfamiliar with the song, we Canadians have had our own version of he twelve days of Christmas written by eminent hosers Bob and Doug Mackenzie. Bob and Doug Mackenzie started out as a SCTV sketch in 1980 as a filler for US networks who ran the Canadian show. In Canada there were more commercials than the US at the time and SCTV's running time was too short for American Networks. So Rick Moranis (who went on to be in Ghostbusters with Fellow Canadian Dan Ackroyd and Spaceballs with Mel Brooks) and Dave Thomas (who also had a number of TV appearances on American shows) Became Bob and Doug Mackenzie... The apex of the stereotypical American view of Canadians. Beer swilling, plaid wearing hoser-talking Canadians. They were a surprise smash hit and also became symbols of the Canadian self-deprecating humour. Their popularity peaked with their 1983 movie "Strange Brew" and an album recorded with the help of Honorary Hoser Geddy Lee of the Canadian band RUSH. On that album... This song appeared:

Bob and Doug's 12 Days of Christmas. Well twelve may be a bit much... as they get tired and thirsty most of the way through and end at 8... We are easily distracted up here in Canada especially when there is beer around. Back to my original point, I had proposed on Facebook that we create the Bob and Doug 12 Days of Christmas Index. And shortly after I posted my own version of the PNC Christmas index with all of the appropriate Calculations based on the lyrics of Bob and Doug's revised (Canadian) version of the song.
So in the grand tradition that I started last  two years ago... I give you:
THE SECOND THIRD ANNUAL BOB AND DOUG 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS INDEX (2015 Edition!)


Beer in a Tree                                     $  96.30             $ 770.40
Two Turtle Necks                               $  39.98             $ 279.86
Three  French Toasts                          $  32.07             $ 192.42
Four Pounds of Back Bacon               $  27.00             $ 135.00
Five Golden Tuques                            $  64.95             $ 259.80
Six Two-Fours                                     $ 299.70            $ 899.10
Seven Packs of Smokes                       $  90.65             $ 181.30
Eight Comic Books                              $  39.92             $  39.92


Each present given once     2014:   $ 682.74
                                            2015:   $ 690.57           Percent Change  + 1.15%

Each Present Given Each Verse       2014:   $ 2695.24
                                                          2015:   $ 2757.80             Percent Change  + 2.32%
                                                                               

There you go... you are slightly wiser than when you started reading this blog post, whether it is for the better or not remains to be seen. Tune in tomorrow for a few more beer updates.

Cheers

CJT

Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online

And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.


No comments:

Post a Comment