Wednesday 11 March 2015

The Princess and Girlpants Meet the O.D.B. Sawdust City

# 220 The Princess and Girlpants meet the O.D.B.

Sawdust City Brewing Company


Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada
Independent Microbrewery
Barrel Aged Wheat 
9.5 % ABV 10 oz Draft (296 ml.)
$6.50 (Canadian) At the brewery


Twitter: @SawdustCityBeer

This is a version of the Princess Wears Girlpants Wheat beer I have been waiting for. 10 months ago Sawdust brewed this beer up and socked it away in Chardonnay barrels. (Yes the O.D.B. means Old Dirty Barrel... what did you think it meant?). They added a touch of Brett and let the beer simmer. Then... To confound everybody they split the batch in two. The draught version, which I am doing today, they dry hopped and served fresh. The second half of the batch they added more yeast, canned it and left it to sit in the warm area of the brewery  (can conditioning). Phase 2 of this tasting will be the canned version in a week or two (of which I am looking forward to very much). I was enjoying the sights at the brewery today I actually saw Stack Brewery deliver the "69" collaboration A Belgian pale ale brewed with black pepper... so I am looking forward to that beer soon... and On Saturday I will be back at the brewery for Pi Day. Sawdust is Releasing their Pi Day Cherry Saison Collab with Block 3 Brewing Company on 3/14 at 1:59 pm (Pi is equal 3.14159 for all of you non-math people...)

Enough talk about the future... let's talk about the now... Introducing the Princess!

Pours a cloudy umber orange/ brown with a light off-white head made up of small bubbles. Aroma is passionfruit, grapefruit fresh grass and a hint of sour candies. First sip is grapey, tart, zesty and woody. Citrus and grapefruit peal with hints of guava and passionfruit. Strong hints of tart oak, some tannin, and a touch of leather. Aeration gives us a grapey citrus shine followed up by more intense bitter orange peel.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 

Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6 PASS
Experience:  5/6 PASS


Final Thoughts:

This is a great beer... probably one I would not end up drinking a lot of (mainly because of the 9.5% ABV) But one you can certainly sit back and enjoy a glass of. This is intensely fruity. I overheard that they dry hopped with 5 Kg of Amarillo hops per barrel (don't quote me I was eavesdropping...) which would explain the explosive tropical fruit aromas. But nonetheless, this is a big, fruity, drinkable version of the Princess, grab it while you can. And stay tuned for the can conditioned version.

Cheers

CJT



Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online


And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment