Wednesday 18 March 2015

Black Coal Stout Railway City

Beer # 223 Black Coal Stout

Railway City Brewery

St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada
Independent Microbrewery
Imperial IPA 
6.0 % ABV Aluminum Can 473 ml.
$3.15 (Canadian) At the LCBO

Twitter: @railwaycity

Down to St. Thomas again and Railway City. After not liking their first few brews I kept hoping I would find some beers that I would like... and I finally did with their Double Dead Elephant IIPA that came out this past summer. Now I must add this beer to the list. I believe this was originally a Christmas seasonal (as it has this slogan on the back of the can...).



But I found one in the local LCBO, It had only been available in gift packs around here before so I was happy to find a few singles.

Onto the coals...


Pours a deep dark chocolate brown with a dark tan head made up of small to medium bubbles. The aroma is earthy, woody, leather, chocolate, and dark malt. First sip is refreshingly light yet deeply malty. Notes of coffee, chocolate, cocoa powder, English toffee and light aromas of herbal hops. Aeration brings out a slight fruitiness, with some toast and a dark chocolate finish.






Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6  PASS
Experience:  5/6 PASS

Final Thoughts:

A very nice seasonal and a great take on a nice light bodied stout. Very flavourful, and not overpowering. Makes me hope for some coal in my stocking next year!




Cheers


CJT



Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online





And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment