Sunday 8 March 2015

Warlock, Southern Tier Brewing Company

Beer # 218 Warlock
Blackwater Series

Southern Tier Brewing Company
Lakewood, New York, USA
Independent Microbrewery
Imperial  Flavoured Pumpkin Stout 
8.6% ABV Brown Glass Bottle 650 ml.
$7.50 (Canadian) At LCBO.

Twitter: @STBCBeer

This beer actually came out in September of last year as a Halloween seasonal. I have only just found one pop up in my local LCBO. So I thought I would give it a try, despite the fact that this will probably not be available again until this September. We have done a couple of Southern Tier Brewing Company Beers before, notably their Crème Brûlée Stout which is also in the Blackwater Series and their 2XIPA and Gemini. They are quite the good little New York Brewery and I am happy to try any new beer of theirs that I find. This one did not disappoint either!

Onto the tasting...

Pours a very dark chestnut brown with a darker tan head made up of small bubbles. The head is short and the beer is not overly carbonated. The aroma is dark malt, roasted pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves, ginger biscuits, molasses, frothed milk, a hint of custard. First sip gives us a sweet, roasted, nutty and spicy beer. Sweet malt comes out at the finish as does more gingersnap and gingerbread cookies. Deep velvety mouthfeel, and very rich and sweet. Lips are sticky from the beer. Aeration amps up the biscuit notes with lots of almonds and sweet roasted pumpkin. Finish is dark malt deep sugars and molasses and caramel.



Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6 PASS
Experience:  5/6 PASS



Final Thoughts:

This is OH so much a food beer. While being excellent on its own, my belly wanted some food to balance it. The alcohol is sneaky you can barely feel it, but halfway into your glass the cheeks get a little warm. Pair this up with something meaty, a burger some stew, or even a nice steak... and sip it with a friend. Southern Tier says pair this with some ice cream... I say... make it into ice cream!

P.S. I have just been trying out www.julyu.com It's a new social media platform for those who enjoy fine alcoholic beverages, like you dear reader. Come and hang out with some like minded individuals. Sign up now and be sure to friend me!

Cheers

CJT



Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online



And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment