Wednesday 18 March 2015

Batch: 1904 Brickworks Ciderhouse

Cider # 9 Batch: 1904

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Independent Cidery
All Natural Hard Apple Cider 
5.0 % ABV Aluminium Can 500 ml.
$3.10 (Canadian) At LCBO 

Twitter: @BrickworksCider

I have only just begun to hear about Brickworks Ciderhouse and as soon as I saw their first product on the shelf at the local LCBO I knew I had to add it to the blog. I honestly wish I had been able to add this brew to cider week as true hard apple ciders were hard to come by. Everything else seems to have adjuncts. This cider is all natural and tasting it you can tell that a lot of care has been put into it. Longtime friends and first time cider brewers Chris Noll and Adam Gerrits have done their homework and made an excellent brew.

Enough already lets taste the cider...

Pours an almost clear gold, fully transparent with low carbonation. Head is clear-white and made of small bubbles that break almost instantly. Aroma is clear fresh crushed apple juice, with the barest hint of cinnamon. First sip is light and tart with crisp clean apple flavour. No off taste from bruised apples. Lots of cheek puckering natural malic acid, but thankfully free of cloying added sugars and other adjuncts. Aeration gives us apple skins and hints of an almost citrusy flavour. Touches of cinnamon and the long lingering feeling of a big bite from a freshly picked macintosh apple. 



Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 

Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6 PASS
Experience:  5/6 PASS


Final Thoughts:


I am suitably impressed. This is a great first outing for The Brickworks. A very clean crisp dry cider that should do a bang up business on the patios this summer. I hope they do not rest on their laurels... While this is an excellent product, I think a nice barrel aged cider and perhaps a mulled cider for fall would compliment their line immensely. While this may be a great summer sipper, I could also see this being used for cooking quite easily, When I taste it I think of bacon cider mussels, apple jelly, and cider glazed pork tenderloin (just not all at the same time...).

Cheers

CJT



Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online



And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment