Thursday 8 January 2015

The 2-4 Beers of Christmas: Day 20: Division by Zero Imperial Nut Brown IPA

Beer # 184 Division by Zero

Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery


Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Independent
Imperial Nut Brown IPA 11.0 % ABV Brown Glass Bottle 750 ml.
$8.83 (Canadian) At the Brewery

Twitter: @FlyingMonkeys

 Another offering from the Flying Monkeys down in Barrie. I was slightly apprehensive about this beer when I was about to start. When I got it I have only read that it was an Imperial Nut Brown Ale. What I had  missed was it that it was instead an Imperial Nut Brown IPA (yes words are important). So I was trying to wrap my head around what that would taste like, and I understood the reference to "Division by Zero." My brain puzzled itself into a black hole. So I figured the only way to tell for sure was to try it.

So before we rip a hole in the space time continuum and flip into an alternate reality; let's try the beer... Onto the tasting...


Pours a very dark chestnut brown with a light tan head made up of tiny bubbles. The aroma is very hoppy; if it were not for its colour, you would think you were about to drink an IPA. Fresh green hops, floral, slightly piney, but with a hint of caramel malt. There is a hint of  iodine in the background. First sip is very nutty, caramel, and hoppy. Slight menthol and herbal hoppiness. Some citrus and honey in the middle finishing up with some clover and the heat of the alcohol. Aeration bursts out bitter orange and a nice IPA finish of lingering fruity hops.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 

Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6 PASS
Experience:  5/6 PASS
Christmas Spirit 4/6 PASS


Final Thoughts:

Very interesting and a different experience. I would never have expected this to work, but it does in a very odd way. The sweet caramel nuttiness of the brown ale plays well with the citrusy, green hoppiness of the IPA. Kind of like peanut butter and celery. The thought is weird, but you love the taste. I am not sure if these are still available, it was a limited release, so if you can still find a bottle pick it up and try dividing by zero yourself.


Cheers And Beery Christmas


CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online



And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment