Sunday 18 January 2015

Beer # 194 The Chocolate Manifesto Flying Monkeys

The Chocolate Manifesto Triple Chocolate Milk Stout

Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery


Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Independent
Flavoured Milk Stout 10.0% ABV Brown Glass Bottle 750 ml.
$10.40 (Canadian) At the Brewery

Twitter: @FlyingMonkeys


Ever entertaining, The Flying Monkeys are always good for some quirky humour especially when it comes to their packaging. Sadly it will be hard to read in the above pictures (Dammit Jim I'm a farm boy... not a photographer...) But suffice it to say there is some interesting reading on the box. Chock full of sage advice, off-beat humour, good tasting notes and a pretty intensive description of the making of this beer, the box has a lot to offer... And we haven't even made it into the beer yet! 

The chocolate for this beer was provided by Chocosol Traders Twitter here. They are a fascinating chocolate trader and purveyor who just made my list of places to visit on my next trip to Toronto. The chocolate that went into this brew was shade grown cocoa nibs, whole roasted cocoa powder, and chocolate malt. Hence the triple chocolate. What we are left with is an intense celebration of chocolate and beer.

Well I'm excited... Let's taste...

Pours very dark brown almost black with a good sized chocolate brown head made up of small bubbles. Aroma is chocolate liquor, sweetness, and a hint of cocoa powder. First sip makes me think I'm drinking an alcoholic chocolate bar. When they said triple chocolate they were not joking. Sweet and creamy gives way to dark chocolate, a roasty, toasty, boozy, chocolate sauce. Finish is very milky with that lingering sweetness of a cold glass of chocolate milk. Aeration gives us dark bitter chocolate and tobacco.

 Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 

Cost: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL

Colour: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Beer Style: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Re-Order:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL 
Experience:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL


Final Thoughts:

This is the best example of a chocolate milk stout I have tried. Period. The Chocolate flavour is well rounded and all encompassing. Strong but supple. The alcohol is very present... I was aware of the full 10 % but it seemed to be mitigated by the creamy chocolate deliciousness. At points in the beer I felt like it was a chocolate cocktail, reminiscent of creme de cocoa. There are a few of these left around... if you can find them grab them and drink them. I do believe they have stopped production of this beer. Hopefully not for long...


Cheers



CJT

P.S. I feel like I need to say chocolate a few more times... 


chocolate chocolate chocolate...

Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online





And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment