Saturday 6 December 2014

The 2-4 Beers of Christmas: Day 5 Innis and Gunn Rum Finish

Beer # 168 Innis and Gunn Rum Finish

Innis and Gunn Brewery


Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Independent
Oak Aged Ale 6.8 % ABV Clear Glass Bottle 330 ml.
$2.75 (Canadian) At the LCBO
Twitter: @InnisandGunnCA


As the weather turns significantly whiter, and the holiday season approaches, my thoughts turn to rum (and eggnog, and of course both... in large  quantities). So when I saw Innis and Gunn's Rum Finish beer I knew it would fit in with my 2-4 Beers of Christmas. Innis and Gunn if you are not aware is a Scottish brewery famous for oak ageing all of their beers. And several times a year they put out a special series. Around Canada Day they do a Canadian Whiskey aged beer, and they also do a vintage beer each year that is suitable for ageing. Now I did look back and I have done Innis and Gunn "Rum Cask" but the the tasting for it was very different to this one and this is "Rum Finish" So I will call this two separate beers.

Onto the Tasting...

Pours a dark honey amber with an off- white head made up of small bubbles. Aroma is oaky, sweet molasses, fruity with a hint of spice.first sip is woody and smoky with a big hit of rum. Dark to caramel malt comes of after and the hops are little herbal and spicy right at the end. There is some vanilla and dark sugars, some toasty caramel. Aeration amps up the rum and woodiness. finish is slightly tart and citrusy.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 



Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 4/6 PASS
Re-Order:  2/6 SO-SO
Experience:  4/6 PASS
Christmas Spirit 4/6 PASS


Final Thoughts:

Innis and Gunn is a good beer but it never sits well with me. I never seem to enjoy it as much as I would like. While quite tasty and flavourful... I just never seem to want to drink one. However, do not let that stop you. Try this beer, especially if you are a rum fan.



Cheers And Beery Christmas


CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online



And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment