Monday 15 December 2014

The 2-4 Beers of Christmas: Day 14 Chocolate Orange Porter

Beer 178 Chocolate Orange Porter

Trafalgar Ales and Meads


Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Independent
Flavoured Porter 5.0 % ABV Brown Glass Bottle 500 ml.
$4.45 (Canadian) At the LCBO

Twitter: N/A

Down again to Trafalgar who I see is busy revamping their brewery and expanding their operations. They are adding a distillery to the brewery and meadery (I'm excited!) They are doing some Moonshines (chuckle, looking forward to trying!) So their website is being redesigned, and hopefully they will be engaging social media more (They never did do twitter). I will keep you updated on the brewery links page.

Onto the beer!

Pours a translucent dark brown with an off-white head made of small bubbles. Aroma is triple sec and marmalade, with just a hint of cocoa. First sip is orange peel with some marmalade sweetness. It then moves into some dry malt with some bitter cocoa notes.The body is quite thin, almost watery and not what I would imagine from a porter. Finish is dark roasted malt some chocolate and bitter coffee. Aeration gives us a hit of triple sec.




Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 



Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 3/6 SO-SO
Re-Order:  2/6 SO-SO
Experience:  3/6 SO-SO
Christmas Spirit 1/6 FAIL


Final Thoughts:

I was excited by this beer, I sort of pictured a nice deep rich porter with a "Terry's Chocolate Orange" feel to it. What I got was something more akin to marmalade on toast with some coffee and cocoa powder sprinkled on top. I would drop this into the avoid category.

Cheers And Beery Christmas


CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online



And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment