Friday 21 November 2014

Beer # 160 Double Dead Elephant Railway City

Double Dead Elephant Imperial IPA

Railway City Brewery


Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Independent
Imperial IPA 7.5 % ABV Brown Glass Bottle 750 ml.
$10.95 (Canadian) At the LCBO
Twitter: @railwaycity

This takes me back to my first post. I started my blog way back in 2010 in November with Railway City's Dead Elephant ale. Here it is, four years later and I am getting around to posting about it's stronger brother the Double Dead Elephant... Sadly I have had bad experiences with Railway City... I have not found any beer of theirs I really liked, and for a time I have avoided them. That has changed now.  I tried this beer a couple of weeks ago and I was happily surprised to find a well rounded good tasting beer. The beer still references the long ago incident where Jumbo the elephant of the Barnum and Bailey Circus, was killed on a railway track outside of St. Thomas, Ontario where the brewery is now located. I detail the full story in my older blog post about Dead Elephant here

Without further monkeying around, if you will direct your attention to the centre ring, I give you tonight's tasting...

Dark gold in colour with hints of brown. Fluffy off white head made up of mostly small bubbles. Aroma is spicy light malt and caramel, and a hint of fruit. First sip is malt and raisin. The middle is chock full of green and bitter herbs, leaving a tart and tangy feeling on the tongue. Citrus zest and some orange pith. Grassy, some hay, touch of spice and some caramel, and vanilla. Aeration brings out the alcohol and malty sugars.



Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 

Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Experience:  5/6 PASS

Final Thoughts:

A good solid beer from Railway city and certainly the best I have had from them. Lots of flavour and good complexity while still being balanced and not being overly hot from the extra alcohol. Get it while it is still on the shelves.


Cheers


CJT



Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online





And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment