Sunday 2 November 2014

Beer # 153 Electric Unicorn White IPA

Electric Unicorn White IPA


Phillips Brewery


Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Independent
White India Pale Ale 6.5 % ABV Brown Glass Bottle 650 ml.
$5.50 (Canadian) At the BC Liquor Store
Twitter: @PhillipsBeer

Phillips Brewery has it's origins in Esquimalt, British Columbia in 2001. I would give you a long interpretation of their history but I would much rather direct you to their history page on their website, as some "cunning linguist" has written out their history in a series of Limericks.

Welcome back.

Tonight's beer is a "White IPA" so it is a citrusy hopped wheat beer.

Onto the tasting... After that unicorn...

Light gold in colour with a slight greenish hue and translucent . Head is bright white and made up of small bubbles. Aroma is bright green herbal, tropical fruit, slightly sulphurish and wet wool. First sip is banana, clove, apples. Attack is very short, middle is thin finish is non-existant. Leaves the mouth feeling slightly pasty. Aeration gives us a grainy caramel feel. Tartaric acid drys the mouth.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 

Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 3/6 SO-SO
Re-Order:  1/6 FAIL
Experience:  3/6 SO-SO


Final Thoughts:

Very thin, watery and not at all what I expected. There was nothing in it to suggest an IPA and it was a very weak wheat beer, so I was unsure of what the beer was trying to accomplish. I was greatly disappointed as the bottle art and the marketing of the beer was fantastic, and I so wanted to like this beer but there was not much to enjoy. Do try it, especially if you are a fan of lighter tasting beers, however, it is not my cup of tea.


Cheers


CJT



Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online



And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment