Tuesday 15 July 2014

Cider Week: Cider # 2 Molson Canadian Cider

Molson Canadian Cider

MolsonCoors LTD


Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Canadian Branch)
Denver, Colorado, USA (World Headquarters)
Multinational Corporation
Adjunct Hard Apple Cider 5.0 % ABV Aluminium Can 500 ml.
$2.95 (Canadian) At LCBO 
Twitter: @MolsonCoors

This one stood out in the crowd for me. It seemed very odd when I saw it. But it is beginning to dawn on me that the prevalence of ciders is due to the Gluten Free fad diet craze. This is obviously and attempt by MolsonCoors to retain brand-loyal market share among people who have adopted the GF lifestyle. "If I can't have my Molson Canadian because I'm GF now I can have Molson Canadian Cider." Well I'm not here to advocate or denounce any diet I'm just here for the beer... or the cider as the case may be.

Onto the tasting.

Light gold in colour very similar to apple juice. Thin head that disappears quickly leaving a skim of foam around the edge of the glass. Aroma is fresh apple juice and slightly winey. I also get some hints of wood. First sip is very sweet, and tastes of fresh pressed apple juice. Very carbonated, two sips in I got burpy. Slight tartness, a little chemical. I suspect that Malic acid has been added to fortify the "appley-ness." Finish is bruised apple, a little raisin and a chemical woodiness like fake oak or wood chips. Aeration gives off a citrus, green apple taste of malic acid and possibly citric acid.  They said on the can that this product contains sulfites... And boy they weren't kidding. After I had tasted this and the flavours had settled in my mouth, I began to get sulfur breath and a slight headache. Be warned if you can't handle sulfites.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 

Cost: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Cider Style: 4/6 PASS
Re-Order:  2/6 SO-SO
Experience:  3/6 SO-SO

Final Thoughts:

Sheer morbid curiosity drove me to try this product. And, I will say it is drinkable (certainly not something that can be said about the other alcoholic beverage that bears this name). Is it a cider? Well technically, but there have been tweaks to make it more mass-pleasing (and probably more uniform, apple cider flavours can vary largely from batch to batch). Would I drink it again? Sure, if someone else bought it (even though it is very reasonably priced). Should you try it? That is up to you. If you would like a slightly more chemical version of an Allen's Apple juice, with 5 % alcohol in it... go for it. But, I am sure you can find better places to drop $3.00. This is merely a cider version of it's namesake beer. A cheap, flavourless alcohol delivery device.

Cheers

CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online

And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment