Monday 21 July 2014

Beer # 144 Snowy Howell Muskoka Brewery

Snowy Howell
Collaboration Beer with Dara Howell Canadian Olympic Gold Medalist Slopestyle Skiing

Muskoka Brewery

Bracebridge, Ontario, Canada
Independent
Flavoured White IPA 5.5% ABV Brown Glass Bottle 355 ml.
$5.50 (Canadian) At the Brewery Only... Limited Run of 300 Bottles
Proceeds to go towards The Muskoka Conservatory
Twitter: @Muskokabrewery

This is the first time I will have to start my blog off with an apology. I am sorry, but the majority of you, dear readers, that read about this beer today may never drink it. Snowy Howell was a collaboration between Canada's Olympic Gold Medal winner  Dara Howell of Huntsville Ontario and Muskoka Craft Brewery. The beer saw two releases. The first was at Session Toronto June 13 and 14th Where Dara even spent some time at the booth pouring beers! (I had to work... stupid work). The second was to be a limited run of 300 355ml bottles (I was first into the shop on release day July 16th so I shall call my bottles # 1 & 2 of 300) The proceeds of the bottle issue are going to benefit a good cause here in Muskoka, the Muskoka Conservancy. This is group that buys up or accepts as donation environmentally significant land along the lakes and islands of Muskoka. In return they undertake perpetual stewardship of this land ensuring it it always available for the people and animals of Muskoka. If you would like to learn more about this worthy cause visit them here or follow them on Twitter here.


Enough with the preamble... onto the gold medal tasting.


Dark coppery gold in colour with an unusually small head. Head is white and made up of medium sized bubbles. Aroma is very herbal and citursy. Lots of pine tree, and some medicinal notes. there are touches of other herbs in there, mint, thyme, and savoury. First sip is a slow motion explosion of flavour each taking turns on the tongue. Orange peel is huge, gin, and coriander are next, followed by herbal and citrus hops, and a bit of pine notes on the finish as well as some dried orange peel and a slight potpourri scent. Aeration gives us zippy bitter oranges. Savilles,, like good Scottish marmalade. My mind keeps wandering back to gin, I feel like it is a well made gin martini cold, refreshing, herbal citrusy clean and clear. The IPA part of the beer dominates the attack and the orangey, herbal, wheat beer brings up the rear. They do not compete, rather the IPA skillfully hands off to the wheat as the taste approaches the finish.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 

Cost: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL**
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Re-Order:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL****
Experience:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL

Final Thoughts:

Wow. I have waited over a month to get my hands on this beer. And I am sure Muskoka Brewery is glad I've got it now too because I bugged them on twitter quite frequently as I did not want to miss the release. Very, very high marks for this beer but some come with explanations. Cost ** I gave a 6/6 but regular readers would not expect me to give so high a mark for a small (355ml) bottle that cost $5.50. Well yes and no. The money goes to a very good cause and I am very willing to help a brewery that is dedicated to preserving the environment. Re-Order*** I would re-order if i could... but, since this is a very limited release which is now sold out, the chances of getting this brew again are slim. I hope, that Muskoka will re-issue this beer, I think more beer drinkers should get to try this. And honestly, an ongoing fundraiser for the Muskoka Conservancy is something I could support.

Cheers

CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online

And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment