Thursday 29 May 2014

Beer # 124 Cutthroat West Coast Ale Tree Brewing Company

Cutthroat West Coast Ale

Tree Brewing Company

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Independent
Pale Ale 5.0 % ABV Aluminium Can 500 ml
$2.75 (Canadian) At LCBO 
Twitter: @TreeBrewing

Tree Brewing started in 1996 in Kelowna one of the most beautiful regions of Canada that I have visited. President Tod Melnyk and brewmaster Dave Gokiert have been brewing high quality beers in the heart of B.C.Wine Country, for almost 20 years. I first Came across Tree Brewing when I was visiting Vancouver a number of years ago. I wanted to try it but the restaurant it was in would not just sell you a beer without buying food (crazy Vancouver Liquor laws) So this is actually the first chance I have had to sample a beer from this brewery. Oh and the Cutthroat that the name refers to is a trout that is a prized fish for fly fishing anglers. It is found in almost all of the rivers that are connected to the Pacific Ocean from Northern California to Alaska.


Cutthroat Trout

Onto the tasting... I know I have waited long enough...

Clear amber in colour with a fluffy white head made up of mostly small bubbles. Aroma is robust malt and herbal hops, molasses, and turbinado sugar. first sip is deep malty slightly bitter and hoppy. Sticky with some residual sugar. Citrus wood, and nuts.Aeration enhances the wood, earth tones and nuts. Finish is slightly astringent with lingering notes of grassy hops.


Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 


Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  4/6 PASS
Experience:  4/6 PASS


Final Thoughts: 
Sadly I was not as impressed as I hoped I would be. It is a good Pale ale with a fair amount of flavour but as good craft Pale ales go it sits about the average level with me. Structure and body is excellent good colour and composition, definitely a must try if you can get one.


Cheers

CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online

And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment