Saturday 17 May 2014

Beer # 120 Ninkasi Vanilla Oatis

Vanilla Oatis Vanilla Oatmeal Stout

Ninkasi Brewing Company


Eugene, Oregan, USA
Independent
Flavoured Oatmeal Stout 7.2% ABV Brown Glass Bottle 650 ml
$4.75 (Canadian) At BC Liquor Stores
Twitter: @NinkasiBrewing

Spring cleaning time here at Pint Jockey Headquarters. This beer has been languishing in the "Fridge of Fame" for a couple of months with a few other gems I had almost forgotten about. But this week I hope to clear some of the backlog as there are a whole slew of new beers hitting shelves for the summer and I am eager to wrap my tastebuds around them. I had earlier done the partner to this beer here the Ninkasi Believer Double Red Ale, which is excellent I urge you to read about it, and I was saving this one for a special occasion; then it slipped my mind. So finally I present to you the second beer from Eugene, Oregon.

Onto the tasting.

Dark chocolate brown almost black with a deep tan head that is quite large but made up of small to medium sized bubbles. Nose is very earthy with cedar vegetation, moss, pencil shavings and a hint of oaky vanilla. First sip is a swirling complex celebration of the darker malts. Body is slightly sweet and very smooth due to the oatmeal. Smoke and oak is more evident on the first taste, Vanilla plays second fiddle but is definately heard in the crowd. finish is Vanilla caramel and a pinch of citrus. Aeration gives us a hint of the 7.2 percent alcohol, and a creamy lemon finish.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 

Cost: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
 
Colour: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  5/6 PASS
Experience:  5/6 PASS


Final Thoughts:
Truly a wonderful beer from Ninkasi. I only wish more were alvailable for purchase in Ontario. The complexity is key. I actually found myself comparing this beer to a good red wine. If you are able please run out and try this beer.
Cheers

CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online

And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment