Sunday 27 April 2014

Beer # 112 Niagara College Teaching Brewery Butler's Bitter


Butler's Bitter 

Niagara College Teaching Brewery


Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
Owned by Niagara College Learning Enterprises
Bitter Ale 4.4% ABV Brown Glass Bottle 650 ml
$7.75 (Canadian) At LCBO 
Twitter: @NCTBrewery 

This was my first chance to sample something from the Teaching brewery down in Niagara. Opened to meet the demands of a rapidly expanding craft beer market it teaches future brewmasters and brewthusiasts the fine art of brewing beer. Not much of their beer leaves the premises, or is otherwise destined for shows and competitions. This was the first time I had seen any in a bottle in the LCBO and I was sold immediately.

Onto the collegiate tasting.


Dark copper in colour with a large off-white head with hints of tan. Bubbles are medium to large and dissipate fairly quickly. Nose is very grainy with a slight hint of herbal hops. Herbal and medicinal hops are right up front in the first sip, some dark sugars molasses, and deeply toasted malt. Lot's of caramelisation. Very bready leaning from dark rye to pumpernickel. Overall very light and well balanced.  

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 

Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 3/6 SO-SO
Re-Order:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Experience:  5/6 PASS

Final Thoughts:

The label says "English styled" bitter ale, however, I would say this is more of an North American interpretation of what a British bitter tastes like. this beer is more dark and brooding than it's English counterpart, well put together, very flavourful, but it lacks the fruity, floral, finesse of it's British cousin. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this beer. I believe you will too... try it.

Cheers

CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online

And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment