Monday 21 April 2014

Beer # 110 Nøgne Ø Sunturnbrew Ale

Sunturnbrew Ale


Nøgne Ø


Grimstad, Norway
Independent
Strong Ale 11.0% ABV Brown Glass Bottle 500 ml
$7.70 (Canadian) At LCBO
Twitter: @NogneO

Back again to the land of Henrick Ibsen who's poems gave us the term Nøgne Ø, "Naked Island." and the name of tonight's brewery. We have been to Nøgne Ø, before when I did their Imperial Stout HERE. Sunturn refers to the ancient Norwegian belief that on the shortest day of the year (December 21) the sun "turns" and reverses direction in the sky. Here is where I got confused. The website says the beer is brewed on the sunturn, the aforementioned December 21. However, the brew date on my bottle says June 20, 2013. best before June 20 2018. Well I guess the summer solstice counts, as well. I am honestly very impressed with this beer tonight so instead of trying to do the thinking, I will let the beer do the talking.

Onto the Naked Island:

Very dark chestnut in colour with an enormous, long lasting light tan head, very frothy but made of small bubbles, with some larger ones on top. Aroma is very smoky, with some wood and coffee. First sip is an explosion of flavour which could probably be summed up as molasses, candy, and leather. Super rich and deep dark tones, lingering tastes of high alcohol. Balance is surprisingly clean for the amount of flavours going on. There is anise, molasses, turbinado sugar, vanilla, smoke, wood, leather, coffee, chocolate, and a little bitterness from deeply roasted malt. Bitterness is countered by a sweetness that creeps up on the backside of the taste. Aeration give bursts of alcohol, sandalwood, smoke and incense.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional

Cost: 4/6 PASS
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 5/6 PASS
Re-Order:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Experience:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL 


Final Thoughts

Wow. Wow. Wow. There is nothing small about this beer. It grabs you and says hello, and doesn't let you go until it's done with you. Every time I sip it I get another facet of it's personality. It is like a fine old wine freshly decanted and slowly giving up it's secrets to you. This is hands down the best beer I have had from Nøgne Ø. I look forward to when the sun turns again next year (whenever that is...).

Cheers

CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online

And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment