Thursday 17 April 2014

Beer #109 Stack Brewing Impact Altbier

Impact Altbier

Stack Brewing Company


Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Independent
Altbier 5.0% ABV Brown Glass Growler 2 L (64 oz).
$14.00 (Canadian) At The Brewery
Twitter: @Stackbrewing

Last bottle of Stack beer in the Fridge of Fame. It was a wonderful trip up to the Nickel City, as usual. This beer is named after the great "Impact" an asteroid had with Sudbury 1.8 Billion years ago. The massive impact that resulted from the asteroid smash drew billions of tons of rich nickel ore close to the surface, allowing Sudbury, to become one of the world's best sources of the very valuable mineral.

Enough with the education.... let's try a beer with some... impact. I think I said impact a few too many times, the word was starting to lose it's... er... well... impact.

Deep copper in colour with a thin off-white head made up of small bubbles. Aroma is clean and mineral, like cracked granite, or sparked flint. Big bold grain notes on the taste with some darkly caramelised sugars underneath. Beer is effervescent almost to the point of being "fizzy" on the back of the tongue. Very clean, very dry, aftertaste is mild with slight reminder of the grain we started with. Aeration gives us wood, and rum notes. Very drinkable.



Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional

Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Re-Order:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Experience:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL 


Final Thoughts

This is, so far my favourite beer from Stack. It is a very good all purpose beer, good with food, good on it's own, great after work. I want to see a lot more beers from Stack that taste like this. Now I am looking forward to my next visit to Sudbury, plus... I have to return my empties to the brewery.
Cheers

CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online

And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment