Saturday 22 December 2012

Beer # 97 La Fin Du Monde


La Fin Du Monde (The End of the World)

Unibroue


Chambly, Quebec, Canada
Owned by Sleeman's Breweries, a subsidiary of Sapporo Breweries LTD, a
Strong Belgium Tripel (Golden Ale) 9.0 % ABV Brown Glass Bottle 750 ml.
$7.75 (Canadian) At LCBO 
Twitter: @unibroue    @sleemanbeers 

Years ago my friends and I traveled to Quebec. It was our first trip out of province on our own. We stayed outside of Quebec City in a little town called St. Anne de Beaupre, in a motel that sat on the St. Lawrence. On our way back one night from the old city we stopped in the most French restaurant we could find... Pizza Hut. Well we were hungry and it was late, and the crowd was restless  So in horrible broken French we explained to the least bilingual server in all of Quebec that we wanted a local beer. The concept of local and craft beers in Canada was still a few years away... so after a few aborted attempts to serve us Molson Dry the server finally brought us the beer I am talking about tonight: La Fin Du Monde. Obviously we had never heard of it. And yes we were very intrigued. I could not tell you the point when I first decided I wanted to devote my spare time to learning as much about beer as humanly possible, but certainly this one moment was a giant NEON signpost on the road to that goal. The beer was unlike any other I had ever had. It had tremendous amounts of flavour, complexities, and nuances. It was alive... and it was my first "Real Craft Beer."

Sadly I haven't had the beer in  awhile as it was not readily available in Ontario. With the coming of the Mayan Apocalypse  Unibroue has had an advertising pitch out to toast the end of the world with La Fin Du Monde, so the beer is once again (happily) available.

Onto the Tasting:


Cloudy and light gold in colour. Enormous fluffy white head with lots of staying power.Toasty wheaty floral aroma with coriander, clove, and honey. Truly drinks like a champagne among beers. Warm roasty wheat sweet honey, coriander and clove. Effervescent on the tongue, dry and clean. The spices linger in the mouth like the aroma of holiday baking. Aeration gives a burst of spices clove allspice and cinnamon.


Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 

Cost: 5/6 PASS
Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Re-Order:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Experience:  6/6 EXCEPTIONAL

Final Thoughts:

This beer is everything a Tripel should be. I can not say enough about it... but at this point I just want to settle in and savour the rest of the bottle...


Til the end of the world...

Cheers

CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey
Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online



No comments:

Post a Comment